An Observation

If Victoria Jackson had, back in the day, done a skit on SNL in which homosexuality was a punchline*, and there had been blogs, and I had objected, people would have called me the Most Humorless Feminist in all of Nofunnington, accused me of overreacting, and admonished me that IT'S IRONIC and I just don't get the sophisticated humor of comedy geniuses like Victoria Jackson.

Whooooooooooooooooops.

In totally unrelated news, Bill Maher, who I have been repeatedly assured is a staunch feminist ally, called Sarah Palin a "dumb twat" on his show last week.

Oh, and did you hear this? Sarah Palin finally heard what happened in Japan, and she's demanding that we invade Tsunami. I mean…! She says, "These Tsunamians will not get away with this!" Oh! Speaking of dumb twats… [The audience howls and applauds, followed by some groans.] Yeah, I let the cat out of the bag on that one, huh, folks?
I guess it's "edgy" in the sense that it's not even a joke; now just nakedly calling a woman a misogynist slur is meant to be good enough to get a laugh. Cool.

-----------------------------------

* And maybe she did; I certainly don't remember/haven't seen every skit in which Victoria Jackson appeared during her tenure on the show.

Shakesville is run as a safe space. First-time commenters: Please read Shakesville's Commenting Policy and Feminism 101 Section before commenting. We also do lots of in-thread moderation, so we ask that everyone read the entirety of any thread before commenting, to ensure compliance with any in-thread moderation. Thank you.

blog comments powered by Disqus