Oh, Oprah

by Shaker TWoP Fan

AP: Oprah Winfrey says she weighs 200 pounds.

Oh, Oprah. So many of us have been there. Some of us live there.
"I'm embarrassed," she writes. "I can't believe that after all these years, all the things I know how to do, I'm still talking about my weight. I look at my thinner self and think, `How did I let this happen again?'"
I can't believe we're still talking about it either. You've done so much with your life, you give back to your community, and you seem to appreciate what you have.

Except for your body.

Even with scores of personal trainers, chefs, and nutritionists, you can't get and stay at your self-and-media mandated perfect weight? Well, maybe it's because you're already there. It's not a failure; it's facts.
When it comes to her weight, Oprah Winfrey has always been straightforward.

The talk show queen continues the honesty, saying in the January issue of "O" magazine out Tuesday that she now weighs 200 pounds and has "fallen off the wagon" when it comes to healthy living.

"I'm mad at myself," Winfrey writes in an article provided early to The Associated Press by Harpo Productions…"I was so frustrated I started eating whatever I wanted -- and that's never good."
Healthy and weight have little to do with one another. And eating whatever you want is good, if you practice intuitive eating, because it gives you the chance to see what your body needs, not what your 'diet' says you should need. Maybe not having what your body wants isn't sustainable. Or, you know, satisfying.

And if you spend your entire life failing to achieve something that's simply not achievable for you, that's a lot of time to be angry at yourself.

(Also see Kate.)

Shakesville is run as a safe space. First-time commenters: Please read Shakesville's Commenting Policy and Feminism 101 Section before commenting. We also do lots of in-thread moderation, so we ask that everyone read the entirety of any thread before commenting, to ensure compliance with any in-thread moderation. Thank you.

blog comments powered by Disqus