Question of the Day

Amanda at Pandagon cribbed yesterday’s question, and added her own spin, which now I’m cribbing right back. Now that we’ve cried ourselves out, which movie scene always makes you laugh?

As I’ve mentioned before, I love good lowbrow comedy, and I also love dark comedy, sophisticated comedy, un-PC comedy…I’m pathetically easy to amuse, and I’m quick to laugh. I find funny just about anything that isn’t blandly derivative (if you’re going to do stand-up, you can’t just parrot Pryor or Carlin) or stupidly mean—the kind of dubious comedy that features prominently on shows like America’s Funniest Home Videos; guys getting hit in the crotch and fat ladies breaking chairs just doesn’t do it for me.

Anyway, the point is that I could name like a zillion scenes that make me laugh. One that springs to mind immediately, however, is the scene in Manhattan Murder Mystery, when Diane Keaton is flipping out and tells Woody Allen to keep ringing the doorman. She hands him the phone, and he says, “Yeah, I’ll keep ringing him,” hangs up the phone, and makes this face that is so hilarious, it puts me in stitches every time.

Shakesville is run as a safe space. First-time commenters: Please read Shakesville's Commenting Policy and Feminism 101 Section before commenting. We also do lots of in-thread moderation, so we ask that everyone read the entirety of any thread before commenting, to ensure compliance with any in-thread moderation. Thank you.

blog comments powered by Disqus