You Know...

I'm seeing an awful lot of arguments from progressive men (and some women) positing that birth control is a good wedge issue for Democrats to use against the GOP. Like this article, conveniently titled "Why birth control is a good wedge issue against the GOP."

And I respond to every one the exact same way: Sure, great wedge issue, except for how it concedes the extremely anti-choice (and, not coincidentally, the pro-rape culture) position that the bodies of women et. al. and the governance thereof are subject to public debate, ownership, and exploitation as a political tool.

Am I really supposed to give a fuck that Democrats can turn denial of contraception into a "winner" if I have to negotiate away the concept of absolute autonomy over my body in the process?

Fuck that. I'd rather see Democrats, including and especially our President, take a firm line, never concede a goddamn inch, and respond to every Republican attempt to turn any aspect of reproductive rights into a wedge issue with: "I refuse to engage with any position that treats bodily autonomy as a negotiable item. I support choice, without qualification. Next question."

Anything less is losing ground.

If you think I'm wrong, consider this: Conciliation to the anti-choice terms of the debate has us now debating birth control access. In the year two thousand and fucking twelve.

Shakesville is run as a safe space. First-time commenters: Please read Shakesville's Commenting Policy and Feminism 101 Section before commenting. We also do lots of in-thread moderation, so we ask that everyone read the entirety of any thread before commenting, to ensure compliance with any in-thread moderation. Thank you.

blog comments powered by Disqus