Utah Moves Closer to No Sex Ed

[Content Note: Reproductive rights.]

I feel like I went to sleep one night in the real world and woke up the next morning in one of Margaret Atwood's nightmares: The Utah House has passed a bill allowing schools to abolish sex education courses and "prohibit[ing] instruction in the use of contraception in those that keep the courses."
"We've been culturally watered down to think we have to teach about sex, about having sex and how to get away with it, which is intellectually dishonest," said bill sponsor Rep. Bill Wright, R-Holden. "Why don't we just be honest with them upfront that sex outside marriage is devastating?"
Wow. Just wow.

"Get away with it?" Whut. "Sex outside of marriage is devastating?" Yikes.

This stuff is so far outside my own human experience that I am beginning to suspect I am an alien species. I wish the mothership would come pick me the fuck up already.

Shakesville is run as a safe space. First-time commenters: Please read Shakesville's Commenting Policy and Feminism 101 Section before commenting. We also do lots of in-thread moderation, so we ask that everyone read the entirety of any thread before commenting, to ensure compliance with any in-thread moderation. Thank you.

blog comments powered by Disqus