Superbowl Open Thread

I did not watch the Superbowl, because no one in our house cares about it, and, if you don't care about it and have a partner who also doesn't care about it, it's one of the best date nights of the year. ("We've got the world to ourselves!") How much do we not care about the Superbowl? Yesterday afternoon, I walked into the living room and Iain had the pre-program on. I asked him if he wanted to watch the Superbowl. "Oh hell no. I just put it on while I was talking to my dad, because he was asking about it and I was curious to see what time it was on." Pause. "And what teams are playing." LOL!

(I love that guy. I really do.)

So we didn't watch, although I was curious to see the halftime show, because Madge, Nicki Minaj, and M.I.A. (Did Nicki Minaj win the Superbowl? I hope she did! I love her!) When we got home from dinner, I flipped to the Superbowl to see if it was halftime yet, but it was not. It was, however, time time for a gross Skechers advert that features greyhound racing. Yuck, Skechers. FYI: Greyhounds are fast at the dogpark, too, where they're not abused. Boo.

Also: I noticed Budweiser thinks Arizona = Indiana. Whoooooooooooops there is no desert in Indiana. And we don't wear cowboy hats.

Eventually, I did see the Halftime Show (whut.) that culminated in a rousing rendition of Madonna's 1989 (!) hit, "Like a Prayer," the chorus of which—"When you call my name it's like a little prayer / I'm down on my knees, I wanna take you there / In the midnight hour I can feel your power / Just like a prayer you know I'll take you there"—is a double entendre for a blowjob, which apparently everyone has forgotten in the interceding 23 years from when that was A SCANDAL!

This gave Iain and me a huge laugh, especially when, at the end of the performance, the lights went out in the stadium except for giant glittering letters on the field reading "WORLD PEACE." Sure. Totes. Definitely. Also: LOL FOREVER. So, evidently the message of the Superbowl Halftime Show was World Peace through better blowjobs. Well, someone give me and all my hobag friends the Nobel Peace Prize!

Before tuning out again, I heard Clint Eastwood gravelly intone, "How do we come from behind?" Damn, that was one sexxxy Superbowl!

Please feel free to use this thread to discuss the game, the advertisements, how awesome or not awesome quarter-end Brady Tebow Manning is, and/or any other related American Football business.

(Once again, I feel I have knocked a review of the Superbowl out of the park! Huzzah!)

Shakesville is run as a safe space. First-time commenters: Please read Shakesville's Commenting Policy and Feminism 101 Section before commenting. We also do lots of in-thread moderation, so we ask that everyone read the entirety of any thread before commenting, to ensure compliance with any in-thread moderation. Thank you.

blog comments powered by Disqus