Question of the Day

What pervasive negative cultural narrative kept you from trying something for a very long time that you ended up liking?

I have a terrible gut, and I am always looking for things that will help with some problem or another. Not long ago, I tried castor oil for the first time in abject desperation, which of course is associated with being used as a punishment for children and an instrument of fascist torture (!). I'd also always heard it was the worst-tasting stuff in existence, so I was pretty terrified of it.

But I found it really rather pleasant tasting and helpful. Huh.

Shakesville is run as a safe space. First-time commenters: Please read Shakesville's Commenting Policy and Feminism 101 Section before commenting. We also do lots of in-thread moderation, so we ask that everyone read the entirety of any thread before commenting, to ensure compliance with any in-thread moderation. Thank you.

blog comments powered by Disqus