Quote of the Day

"Can we drop a little bit of the pious baloney?"—Newt Gingrich, at one of this weekend's debates, in response to Mitt Romney's laughable contention: "I went to Massachusetts to make a difference; I didn't go there to begin a political career, running time and time again. I made a difference; I put in place the things I wanted to do... Run again? That would be about me... Politics is not a career. For me, my career was being in business, and starting a business, and making it successful. My life's passion has been my family, my faith, and my country. I believe my virtue of the experiences, that I'm in a good position to make a contribution to Washington."

So, you see, Mitt Romney is just doing us all a favor by running for president. He's just running out of the goodness of his heart.

It has nothing to do whatsoever with the fact that he comes from a political family, and it's just coincidence that he ran for president during the last election, when he also happened to feel like he was in a good position to serve jury duty be president.


Newt Gingrich: Can we drop a little bit of the pious baloney? The fact is, you ran in '94 and lost. That's why you weren't serving in the Senate with, uh, Rick Santorum. The fact is, you had a very bad reelection rating, you dropped out of office, you'd been out of state for something like 200 days preparing to run for president. You didn't have this interlude of private citizenship while you thought about what to do; you were running for president while you were governor, you were going all over the country, you were out of state consistently, you then promptly reentered politics, you happened to lose to McCain, as you lost to Kennedy. Now you're back running. You've been running consistently for years and years and years, so this idea that suddenly citizenship showed up in your mind—just level with the American people! You've been running since at least the 1990s!

LOL.

Shakesville is run as a safe space. First-time commenters: Please read Shakesville's Commenting Policy and Feminism 101 Section before commenting. We also do lots of in-thread moderation, so we ask that everyone read the entirety of any thread before commenting, to ensure compliance with any in-thread moderation. Thank you.

blog comments powered by Disqus