Adventures in Being Married to a Scot

I was getting a haircut recently, and the young woman cutting my hair was making the usual sort of small talk: Do you live in town? What do you do? Are you married? Got any kids? At some point, I mentioned that Iain was (then) in Scotland, visiting family and friends, and she was asking me whether I'd been there, if I'd met his family, do I like Scotland, and that sort of thing.

And then she asked: "Do his parents speak English?"

"Yep," I replied.

That was definitely the best question I'd been asked since someone at the DMV whispered at me, right in front of him, after I'd noted he'd emigrated from Scotland, "Does he read English okay?"

"Yep," I replied.

Shakesville is run as a safe space. First-time commenters: Please read Shakesville's Commenting Policy and Feminism 101 Section before commenting. We also do lots of in-thread moderation, so we ask that everyone read the entirety of any thread before commenting, to ensure compliance with any in-thread moderation. Thank you.

blog comments powered by Disqus