Quote of the Day

"If they show me a serious plan, I'm ready to move, even if it requires some tough sacrifices on my part."President Barack Obama, on the ongoing debt negotiations with Congressional Republicans.

It's good that he's classifying the Republican plans as unserious, which they are, but I really wish that he would stop pretending that choosing to spend his political capital for no good reason is a "sacrifice."

It's not.

And that sort of language is an insult to the millions of USians who have to make sacrifices like "giving up the blood pressure medication I pay for out of pocket to keep paying my mortgage" or "skipping dinner because I can't afford a meal for myself and my kids" or "working overtime again instead of spending any quality time with my spouse so I don't get shit-canned" or infinite variations thereof which have become the cacophonous death rattle of the American middle class.

Shakesville is run as a safe space. First-time commenters: Please read Shakesville's Commenting Policy and Feminism 101 Section before commenting. We also do lots of in-thread moderation, so we ask that everyone read the entirety of any thread before commenting, to ensure compliance with any in-thread moderation. Thank you.

blog comments powered by Disqus