An Observation

When I think about why it is that I privileged intelligence over kindness, and what about my socialization influenced that choice, I realize there were a lot of messages which conspired to inform my (bad) priorities, like treating intelligence and goodness as virtually synonymous concepts, and regarding intellect as aspirational and kindness as optional, but perhaps nothing was as important as this: I was taught way more about how to be compliant than I was about how to be kind.

Shakesville is run as a safe space. First-time commenters: Please read Shakesville's Commenting Policy and Feminism 101 Section before commenting. We also do lots of in-thread moderation, so we ask that everyone read the entirety of any thread before commenting, to ensure compliance with any in-thread moderation. Thank you.

blog comments powered by Disqus