The Feminist Portrait Project

Bitch is currently celebrating feminist click and anti-click moments with a Feminist Portrait Project Blog Carnival. Lena Chen, the Co-Founder of the Feminist Portrait Project and Feminist Coming Out Day, requested submissions from feminist bloggers around the web, and responses are posted at the link. Additionally, feminist and womanist bloggers are invited to submit their own pieces about their click (coming to feminism) and anti-click (realizing the limitations of feminism) moments.

The piece I submitted is overtly about a click moment, but it's really my anti-click moment, too, as I was fortunate to come to feminism as part of a broader social justice awakening. I've always been keenly aware of feminism's limitations, and, at the same time, understanding the breadth of its limitations is an ongoing process for me.

My objective and my challenge as I fumblefuck my way through this every day is to practice a feminism that never asks one of my sisters who do not share my privileges to wrench apart pieces of their identity in exchange for my alliance, a feminism that respects, admires, and loves women, in which women see ourselves not just as men's equals, but as each other's.

I hope you will check out the Feminist Portrait Project Blog Carnival and submit your own stories, too.

Shakesville is run as a safe space. First-time commenters: Please read Shakesville's Commenting Policy and Feminism 101 Section before commenting. We also do lots of in-thread moderation, so we ask that everyone read the entirety of any thread before commenting, to ensure compliance with any in-thread moderation. Thank you.

blog comments powered by Disqus