"Whoa, this must be a fuckin' dream; there's a fuckin' dwarf in it!"

These are the things you need to know about me: I'm a progressive, I will not eat eggs under any circumstances, and I've had a ridiculously ardent crush on Peter Dinklage since I saw Living in Oblivion in 1995.

This, from the aforementioned film, remains one of my favorite movie scenes of all time:

Nick [Steve Buscemi]: Look, Tito, it's not that big of a deal. It's a dream. Strange things happen in a dream. All I want you to do is laugh. Why is that such a problem for you?

Tito [Peter Dinklage]: Why does it have to be a dwarf?

Nick: What?!

Tito: Why does my character have to be a dwarf?

Nick: It doesn't have to be a dwarf.

Tito: [laughs contemptuously] Then why is he? Is that the only way you can make this a dream—put a dwarf in it?!

Nick: No, Tito, I—

Tito: Have you ever had a dream with a dwarf in it? Do you know anyone who's had a dream with a dwarf in it? NOOOOOO! I don't even have dreams with dwarves in them. The only place I've seen dwarves in dreams is in stupid movies like this! "Oh, make it weird; put a dwarf in it!" Everyone will go: "Whoa whoa whoa, this must be a fuckin' dream; there's a fuckin' dwarf in it!" Well, I'm sick of it! You can take this dream sequence and shove it up your ass!

[Tito storms out; the crew shifts uncomfortably; Nick looks stricken and perplexed and collapses into his director's chair.]
The first time I saw that was the moment I fell madly in crush with Peter Dinklage, a fancy that is well-known to pretty much everyone who knows me, since I evangelize The Station Agent like it's a holy text. When the casting for Game of Thrones was announced, I got like half a dozen emails, and I can barely wait for its premiere later this year.

Anyway. This was basically just an unnecessarily long introduction to noting there's a really nice interview with Peter Dinklage in Vanity Fair.

And also? If you haven't seen The Station Agent, you totes should.

Shakesville is run as a safe space. First-time commenters: Please read Shakesville's Commenting Policy and Feminism 101 Section before commenting. We also do lots of in-thread moderation, so we ask that everyone read the entirety of any thread before commenting, to ensure compliance with any in-thread moderation. Thank you.

blog comments powered by Disqus