Veterans' Day

Today is Veterans' Day in the US.

Veterans' Day is a weird sort of day for me to recognize, because I don't feel like I'm honoring our servicemembers to treat them as a monolith with an easy catchphrase like, "I support the troops." This morning, I saw a segment on CNN about a young man getting the Medal of Honor, who said quite candidly that he was angry to be getting it, because it comes at such a cost. Some generic, feelgood, unqualified, blanket statement about supporting the troops doesn't get at that complicated reality; its vagueness feels like cowardice.

On the other hand, I don't feel like I'm particularly honoring them by pointing out that among the troops are war criminals and thieves and miscreants who harm their fellow soldiers, whose behavior I categorically do not want to support, or by using this day to talk about my objections to the two three wars we're currently fighting, even as I acknowledge the soldiers who honorably staff those wars don't have a choice where they're sent.

Which always leaves me not really knowing what to say.

So I'll just say this: Thank you to all the women and men who have served this country with decency in a military capacity, who have been willing to risk their lives to defend its borders, resources, and people.

And this: When I write about social justice issues every day, I'm advocating for veterans.

I'm advocating for veterans whose bodies and/or minds were changed by war when I write about disability. I'm advocating for veterans who were sexually assaulted when I write about the rape culture. I'm advocating for veterans who were not allowed to serve openly when I write about LGBTQI rights. I'm advocating for veterans who are denied opportunity and equal pay when I write about gender equality. I'm advocate for veterans who are not getting adequate healthcare, who are homeless, who are unemployed, when I write about funding a comprehensive social safety net. Whenever I'm writing about people in need in the US, I'm necessarily writing about veterans.

If we remember that, every day really is Veterans' Day.

[I recommend NPR's coverage here and this piece at Campus Progress.]

Shakesville is run as a safe space. First-time commenters: Please read Shakesville's Commenting Policy and Feminism 101 Section before commenting. We also do lots of in-thread moderation, so we ask that everyone read the entirety of any thread before commenting, to ensure compliance with any in-thread moderation. Thank you.

blog comments powered by Disqus