Shaker Help Request

Shaker NameChanged emails:
I am currently pregnant with my second child. I live in a rural town in Farmington, NM. My daughter was born by C-section after a long labor and an inability to dislodge her from my pelvis. We were treated by midwives before and after the C-section, and my midwife was a proponent of VBAC for any future children. Unfortunately, this was in a larger city in the state, approximately 3 hours away.

The hospital in Farmington has a no VBAC policy, as does the hospital in nearby Durango, CO, although the midwives from Durango have indicated that there is a process to attempt a VBAC, but it requires some convincing.

I am in the process of having my new OB review my files from my first birth to at least determine if I would be a good candidate for VBAC (even if the hospital won't do it). I was wondering if there is more that I should be doing.

Do any Shakers who have experience in this? I am not getting any answers here, because all of the women I know in Farmington were able to deliver naturally for each birth.

I also know that things are different for different hospitals, but any similar situations would be appreciated.

Shakesville is run as a safe space. First-time commenters: Please read Shakesville's Commenting Policy and Feminism 101 Section before commenting. We also do lots of in-thread moderation, so we ask that everyone read the entirety of any thread before commenting, to ensure compliance with any in-thread moderation. Thank you.

blog comments powered by Disqus