Return of The Wall

Roger Waters has announced his 2010 tour of performing The Wall in its entirety. Following is an excerpt of his explaining why he's bringing it back:
This new production of The Wall is an attempt to draw some comparisons, to illuminate our current predicament, and is dedicated to all the innocent lost in the intervening years.

In some quarters, among the chattering classes, there exists a cynical view that human beings as a collective are incapable of developing more ‘humane’ ie, kinder, more generous, more cooperative, more empathetic relationships with one another.

I disagree.

In my view it is too early in our story to leap to such a conclusion, we are after all a very young species.

I believe we have at least a chance to aspire to something better than the dog eat dog ritual slaughter that is our current response to our institutionalized fear of each other.

I feel it is my responsibility as an artist to express my, albeit guarded, optimism, and encourage others to do the same. To quote the great man, "You may say that I’m a dreamer, but I’m not the only one."
As part of the tour, Roger has set up a request called "Fallen Loved Ones." He's asking for people to submit photos and bios of loved ones that have been lost to war, which he will include in the actual performance as an act of honor and remembrance. I keep getting chills every time I think of that.

I don't know about all of you, but you can damn well believe that I will be attending more than one of these shows.

Shakesville is run as a safe space. First-time commenters: Please read Shakesville's Commenting Policy and Feminism 101 Section before commenting. We also do lots of in-thread moderation, so we ask that everyone read the entirety of any thread before commenting, to ensure compliance with any in-thread moderation. Thank you.

blog comments powered by Disqus