I Write Letters

Mr. Gaiman:

In regard to your post, I first want to tell you that I am sorry about Zoe. I know you don't know me from Eve, but I write in a house with three cats, whom most of my regular readers probably know by name, and my sympathy for your pain over Zoe is genuine and deep.

I have no interest in protracting my original point, and will respond only to your assertion that "having used that phrase undid all the good I'd ever done by writing positive women, supporting RAINN etc." That is not a claim I made, nor something I believe.

The truth is, Mr. Gaiman, if I didn't consider you someone who has done a lot of good, if I didn't respect that you've written positive female characters and supported RAINN, if I didn't regard you as someone who I thought might be receptive to the concern, I wouldn't have bothered writing the post. I'm not in the habit of wasting my time on lost causes. It was, in fact, because you had shown yourself, to me and many other women, to be someone who might take such an issue seriously that I wrote the post at all.

If you're still keen to render that plague on my house, I prefer frogs to locusts, if it's all the same to you.

Warmest regards,
Melissa McEwan

Shakesville is run as a safe space. First-time commenters: Please read Shakesville's Commenting Policy and Feminism 101 Section before commenting. We also do lots of in-thread moderation, so we ask that everyone read the entirety of any thread before commenting, to ensure compliance with any in-thread moderation. Thank you.

blog comments powered by Disqus