Edwards Confirms What We Already Knew

Under the subject header "Good Christian," and with the attached note, "I hope the corrupting influence of your salty language isn't to blame for this," Iain emailed me about John Edwards finally admitting he fathered a child with a woman other than his wife:
In a written statement provided exclusively to NBC News, the former North Carolina senator and Democratic presidential candidate says he's taking responsibility for the child, Frances Quinn Hunter:

"I am Quinn's father. I will do everything in my power to provide her with the love and support she deserves. I have been able to spend time with her during the past year and trust that future efforts to show her the love and affection she deserves can be done privately and in peace.

It was wrong for me ever to deny she was my daughter and hopefully one day, when she understands, she will forgive me. I have been providing financial support for Quinn and have reached an agreement with her mother to continue providing support in the future.

To all those I have disappointed and hurt these words will never be enough, but I am truly sorry."
To quote Deeky, "this is the same douchenozzle who had the temerity to lecture Liss on ethics." When I recall that phone call, in which Edwards explained to me how my Big Girl Language about religious misogyny and homophobia (used totally before I was in his employ and totally unrelated to the campaign) wasn't the sort of thing that he would say and wasn't appropriate and blah blah blah, my teeth clench together so hard I feel like I may spontaneously generate a new universe between my molars.

What. A. Wanker.

Shakesville is run as a safe space. First-time commenters: Please read Shakesville's Commenting Policy and Feminism 101 Section before commenting. We also do lots of in-thread moderation, so we ask that everyone read the entirety of any thread before commenting, to ensure compliance with any in-thread moderation. Thank you.

blog comments powered by Disqus