Comic Fail

Sometimes xkcd gets it right. And sometimes xkcd gets it wrong.

This? Would be getting it wrong.

Explains Shaker Gnatalby, who emailed the link to me:
It IS fucking creepy when men just assume that because you exist in the world while female you are open to sexual advances. I get hit on with some frequency while I'm walking to places, and it pisses me off. Am I doing something to suggest that I am open to being hit on? No. I am not out at a pick-up bar, I am not making flirtatious eye contact, I am just existing, as a woman, walking from place to place. That's not flattering; that's patriarchy.

I feel like if xkcd dude, or any of the dudes who hit on me while I'm assuming my blank face of public transportation, considered the possibility that I was a doctor, or a lawyer, or, basically, a human being of any importance beyond a personalized fuck-hole for their enjoyment, they wouldn't feel like it's appropriate to interrupt me in the middle of my fucking commute in order solicit sex.
Spot-on. The interrupting is really the key. Forget flirtatious eye contact; how about some eye contact, any eye contact at all, being considered a requisite, a bare minimum, before deciding to hit on another human being.

I guess it's easy to convince yourself that sort of thing isn't necessary, though, when you believe women play games like: "Ignore the Guy So He'll Hit on You."

Shakesville is run as a safe space. First-time commenters: Please read Shakesville's Commenting Policy and Feminism 101 Section before commenting. We also do lots of in-thread moderation, so we ask that everyone read the entirety of any thread before commenting, to ensure compliance with any in-thread moderation. Thank you.

blog comments powered by Disqus