Republican Senator Mel Martinez Resigns

His full statement is here, but he gives no reason other than:
My priorities have always been my faith, my family and my country and at this stage in my life, and after nearly twelve years of public service in Florida and Washington, it's time I return to Florida and my family.

So today I am announcing my decision to step down from public office, effective on a successor taking office to fill out the remainder of my term.
He doesn't want to return after the August recess. In Florida, the governor chooses the replacement when a senator resigns; interestingly, Florida Governor Charlie Crist is the leading contender for Martinez's seat, for which he'd already signaled he wouldn't be seeking reelection.

Surely, Crist has to recuse himself from the selection process, otherwise it would be seen as a conflict of interest, i.e. choosing someone he thinks he can beat in the next election. But to whom would he hand the decision that itself wouldn't look like a conflict? His lieutenant governor? Really, anyone who he chooses risks the appearance of being an ally who's appointing someone weak. And choosing someone who agrees only to serve out the remainder of Martinez's term always looks shady, even when the governor isn't angling for the seat himself.

All of which brings me to: I can't imagine Crist is happy about Martinez's early departure. I wonder why he's bolting now; maybe he found out he's ill? I haven't heard any rumors of scandals or indiscretions.

Floridian Shakers? Any thoughts?

Shakesville is run as a safe space. First-time commenters: Please read Shakesville's Commenting Policy and Feminism 101 Section before commenting. We also do lots of in-thread moderation, so we ask that everyone read the entirety of any thread before commenting, to ensure compliance with any in-thread moderation. Thank you.

blog comments powered by Disqus