10,000,000

Sometime in the last twenty-four hours, Shakesville's site meter passed the ten million mark:

It's such an arbitrary number; in fact, in the age of feeds, it's probably all but meaningless. But it still feels like a bit of a milestone, worth a wee post to recognize those "ten million" and what it means…

When I first started Shakesville (then Shakespeare's Sister) just under five years ago, I just wanted a place to write, a place in which to air my thoughts about politics and culture. Frustrated on one hand by the direction in which the country was headed, on the other, I was encouraged by the passionate, progressive voices I'd found in the blogosphere, and I wanted to be a part of that, in my own little way.

I never imagined that anyone besides Iain and a couple of friends would ever read it.

That this amazing community has emerged absolutely floors me. I've learned more in this space than I ever could have imagined, and this is, by far, the toughest job I've ever had, and the most rewarding.

I always try to write something meaningful, or funny, or thought-provoking, but there are some days I'm just not all that interesting, and I know it, and I'm grateful you hang with me even when I suck.

Cheers to all of our awesome contributors and guest posters, cheers to the best commentariat in the blogosphere, cheers to everyone who emails good stuff, cheers to everyone who visits Shakesville.



Slainte Mhath, Shakers!

Shakesville is run as a safe space. First-time commenters: Please read Shakesville's Commenting Policy and Feminism 101 Section before commenting. We also do lots of in-thread moderation, so we ask that everyone read the entirety of any thread before commenting, to ensure compliance with any in-thread moderation. Thank you.

blog comments powered by Disqus