LaVena

Hey, Shakers. I wrote a post about LaVena at my place yesterday that I wanted to share here. A couple of things: firstly, I wanted to announce that the LA Times has published a story on LaVena and her family that serves as a clear-eyed yet sensitive accounting of where things stand now with the Johnson family and their efforts. I also blogged about it at the LaVena website.

The LAT story - a well-written one, I thought - is understandably painful. I said in comments at my blog that to the extent that the article portrays their lives as completely joyless, it’s in error - but then, this pain is the specific topic of the story, and it’s certainly real.

Secondly, I wanted to let folks know that the delivery of my petition to select members of the two Armed Services Committees - scheduled for last year, but delayed a number of times by events and ultimately deferred - is now close at hand. I’ll post word of the delivery here, and certainly at the LaVena site.

As my participation in the LaVena effort is naturally tied to the petition, the conclusion and delivery of the petition will mean an end to my small role in the story. The disposition of the LaVena website is still at issue; it’s my hope to hand over the reins to someone more active in the effort. I’ll post word on developments as they unfold. Thanks much.

(Rather broadly cross-posted.)


Shakesville is run as a safe space. First-time commenters: Please read Shakesville's Commenting Policy and Feminism 101 Section before commenting. We also do lots of in-thread moderation, so we ask that everyone read the entirety of any thread before commenting, to ensure compliance with any in-thread moderation. Thank you.

blog comments powered by Disqus