Hmm

So the AP reports that an arrest warrant has been issued in association with the 2001 murder of Chandra Levy, and either the AP or Yahoo News sticks the report under the headline: "Warrant issued for immigrant in Chandra Levy death."

For immigrant?

It's accompanied by a mugshot of the suspect, a brown-skinned Salvadoran man named Ingmar Guandique. Clearly, we're meant to infer that he is an undocumented immigrant, and he may be, although the story never says that.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess if Iain made the headlines for some reason, he wouldn't be referred to as "immigrant," despite the fact that he is one. And I'm further going to go out on a limb and suggest that's related to the fact that when people have said nasty shit about "immigrants" around me, and I point out I'm married to an immigrant, they explain to me like I'm the fucking idiot that he's not "that kind" of immigrant.

But the immigration debate in this country has nothing to do with racism, of course.

Shakesville is run as a safe space. First-time commenters: Please read Shakesville's Commenting Policy and Feminism 101 Section before commenting. We also do lots of in-thread moderation, so we ask that everyone read the entirety of any thread before commenting, to ensure compliance with any in-thread moderation. Thank you.

blog comments powered by Disqus