Happy Birthday, Iain!!!



It's my burfday!

No cake for the stinkabetes birthday boy; the delectable concentration of sweetness in that utterly adorable picture of the wee bairn we now know as our resident Scotsman will have to suffice!

I've told this story before, but not for a long time, and it's still as true as ever...

Once upon a time, I mentioned to my friend Sam that Anne Bancroft and Mel Brooks had always been my favorite Hollywood couple. "Not Bogart and Bacall?" he asked. "Not Newman and Woodward?"

"Nope," I replied. "Definitely Anne Bancroft and Mel Brooks."

He asked why. It was because of something Anne Bancroft once said. Yes, that Brooks made her laugh. And this: "When I hear his key in the lock at night my heart starts to beat faster. I'm just so happy he's coming home. We have so much fun." I can totally relate.

I'll never get over my crush on Iain.

He's all the things that anyone would hope to be able to say about their partner—kind, intelligent, loyal, admirable, talented, affectionate, witty. But then there's this other thing…this completely bizaare and wonderful thing that leads him to believe that his primary role as my partner is to annoy the shit out of me in the most hilarious way.

"Hey," he'll say. "Did ye see that poll that CNN did today?"

"No," I'll reply.

"Oh, it was really interesting," he'll tell me. "They foond oot that Joodge Toobbs is the moost brilliant chooby wifel in the entire universe."

Then he'll give me that wicked grin with the raised eyebrow, and I'll tell him to shut up, to which he'll reply, "Hey, dinny tell me. I'm joost repoorting the news, Chunkles." And on and on we'll go until I'm laughing so hard my sides hurt.

Which reminds me of something else Anne Bancroft once said about Mel Brooks. "I'd never had so much pleasure with another human being. It was that simple."

I can totally relate to that, too.

I love you, Iain. Happy Birthday.

Shakesville is run as a safe space. First-time commenters: Please read Shakesville's Commenting Policy and Feminism 101 Section before commenting. We also do lots of in-thread moderation, so we ask that everyone read the entirety of any thread before commenting, to ensure compliance with any in-thread moderation. Thank you.

blog comments powered by Disqus