Goofus and Gallant

McCain was just giving his usual stump speech in Colorado, still trying to rally his base to get out and vote. He said, as ever: "I promise I will never let you down when I am president."

Such a foolish promise. And egomaniacal, to boot. Only a daft braggart thinks he can never disappoint even those who think the most of him.

Compare to what Obama's standard line has been on the campaign trail: "I am not a perfect man, and I would not be a perfect president, but I will listen to you and learn from you."

That is a promise which is, apart from anything else, possible to keep.

Shakesville is run as a safe space. First-time commenters: Please read Shakesville's Commenting Policy and Feminism 101 Section before commenting. We also do lots of in-thread moderation, so we ask that everyone read the entirety of any thread before commenting, to ensure compliance with any in-thread moderation. Thank you.

blog comments powered by Disqus