Obama 1 : McCain 0


No question Obama won tonight. The only surprise is that the media actually seems to agree. I'm so used to thinking that the Democrat was the clear winner (because I, ya know, listen to the actual content of the debate) and then listening to two solid hours of talking heads rewrite the debate into something not remotely resembling what I just watched, that I can't actually believe it's not happening this time. Now that's some change I can believe in!

I won't spend any time discussing the policy shit, because, let's face it, McCain was a total disaster. Those talking points are deader than Tut, man.

And does no one on his team know that striped fabrics don't broadcast well? I seriously thought his fucking tie was going to give me a seizure.

(Also, that enormo eagle backdrop? Was preposterous.)

I found Obama to be extremely likeable, and McCain to be extremely condescending, neither of which I expected. Not because I've never found Obama likeable (I have) and certainly not because I've never found McCain condescending (I sure have), but just because I didn't anticipate that those particular dynamics would emerge quite so forcefully during this debate.

I thought the most emblematic part of the evening was this exchage:
MCCAIN: I'm afraid Senator Obama doesn't understand the difference between a tactic and a strategy...

[a few moments later]

OBAMA: ...The [pauses; looks at McCain] strategic question that the president has to ask is not whether or not we are employing a particular approach in the country once we have made the decision to be there. The question is, was this wise?
McCain is a rude shit; Obama undermines his contempt gracefully and cleverly, and deals a substantive blow to boot.

The only thing I really wish Obama would have done, at some point during the debate, is turn to McCain and ask him: "John, what the fuck do earmarks have to do with the financial crisis, you enormous ass-flavored tool?" McCain kept talking about reining in spending in Washington as if that was the root of this crisis, when the Congressional issue with regard to the economy is deregulation, not spending.

Anyway, wev. McCain tanked. Good.

Shakesville is run as a safe space. First-time commenters: Please read Shakesville's Commenting Policy and Feminism 101 Section before commenting. We also do lots of in-thread moderation, so we ask that everyone read the entirety of any thread before commenting, to ensure compliance with any in-thread moderation. Thank you.

blog comments powered by Disqus