To Nora Ephron And Friends

Nora Ephron has a new post up at Huffington lambasting Hillary Clinton for last night's performance. Was Ephron unhappy with Clinton being deferential, strong, gracious, persuasive, or any of those other fine and appropriate adjectives Liss used? No. Ephron's ire is with what Clinton didn't do last night. (You know, aside from Clinton generally being an opportunistic narcissist.)

...She never once referred to Roe vs. Wade. She never once mentioned choice. She never once said the truth, which is that any Hillary supporter who doesn't understand that this issue alone is the reason to vote for Obama has no business pretending to be a Democrat.
Ah yes, there we are. Again. Roe. Roe! Blah blah blah. It's "this issue alone" that, according to Ephron, should define Democrats, and by extension, the Left as a whole. But I'm going to kindly disagree with that. (For the record, I am an unreserved ally in defending women's reproductive rights, and will do everything I can to make sure that all women have affordable, safe access to every reproductive choice that should be available to them, but Roe is an issue will never affect me the way it will women.) I'm a gay man, and so refer Mrs. Ephron to one Donnie McClurkin. And when she's done making herself familiar with McClurkin, I'd like to point her toward James T. Meeks.

You see, there are other things that are important to me; this isn't a one issue election. And I have a very big problem voting for a candidate that uses anti-gay bigots as part of their campaign, regardless of the threat McCain may pose to Roe v. Wade.

But that's just me.

While we're on the subject of things that are important to different people, let me address the Obama supporters out there who insist on repeatedly telling me how wonderful their candidate is, while dismissing Clinton out of hand. Yes, you like him. I get that. That's okay. That's your choice. I know you had lots of very good reasons, legitimate reasons, you've supported him instead of Clinton (or Edwards, or whomever). So, by that very same token, I'd hope you be able to see that I, and everyone else, had very good reasons, legitimate reasons, for supporting someone else.

Shakesville is run as a safe space. First-time commenters: Please read Shakesville's Commenting Policy and Feminism 101 Section before commenting. We also do lots of in-thread moderation, so we ask that everyone read the entirety of any thread before commenting, to ensure compliance with any in-thread moderation. Thank you.

blog comments powered by Disqus