Quote of the Day

"Now look, everybody says, 'I hate ABBA. Oh ABBA, how terrible! Blah blah blah.' How come everybody goes to 'Mamma Mia?' Huh? I mean really, seriously, huh? 'I hate ABBA, they're no good, you know.' Well, everybody goes. They've been selling out for years."—Presumed Republican nominee John McCain, vociferously defending his favorite band.

I'm struck with two interestingly related thoughts: 1) I don't think I've ever been in a room where "everyone" would deny they dig ABBA, but then I'm usually in rooms filled with girls and gays; and 2) John McCain believes that ABBA's reputation is more deserving of his passionate defense than women's autonomy and gays' equality.

Shakesville is run as a safe space. First-time commenters: Please read Shakesville's Commenting Policy and Feminism 101 Section before commenting. We also do lots of in-thread moderation, so we ask that everyone read the entirety of any thread before commenting, to ensure compliance with any in-thread moderation. Thank you.

blog comments powered by Disqus