Question of the Day

What movie line do you quote most often?

Indirectly, I quote Sailor Ripley's (Nic Cage) infamous line from Wild at Heart the most often by far. The line is: "Did I ever tell you that this here jacket is a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom?" I substitute all sorts of shit for "jacket." Mostly clothing items, but sometimes completely random rubbish. Like, instead of saying, "This sandwich is tasty," I'll say to Mr. Shakes, "Did I ever tell you that this here sandwich is a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom?" At which point, he'll quote Lula Fortune (Laura Dern): "About fifty thousand times."

Directly, the line I use the most often is from Peter Jackson's '92 film Dead or Alive (aka Braindead). Matilda goes apeshit at the sound of ringing phones, whistling, sirens, digitalized voices, mewing cats on YouTube, and other strange noises—and, upon hearing them, she races to me and runs around my feet in circles, biting me repeatedly and making a collection of hilarious clicking, chirping, and whining sounds. Whenever she does this, I grab her and quote Vera "Mum" Cosgrove's (Elizabeth Moody) exclamation when she's bitten by the Sumatran rat-monkey: "Look at it! It bit me! I've been savaged!"

Another one I use a lot is from Hannah and Her Sisters, said by Frederick (Max von Sydow): "If Jesus came back and saw what's going on in his name, he'd never stop throwing up."

Shakesville is run as a safe space. First-time commenters: Please read Shakesville's Commenting Policy and Feminism 101 Section before commenting. We also do lots of in-thread moderation, so we ask that everyone read the entirety of any thread before commenting, to ensure compliance with any in-thread moderation. Thank you.

blog comments powered by Disqus