Bush: Proud To Be C (and rich)

I know this graphic, lovingly crafted by Liss, is producing a reaction anywhere from blank stares to spit-takes. Let me explain.

I am generally a fairly easy going guy. Even when talking about big issues where government people have done wrong, yes I can get snarky but I try to analyze things and not get too carried away. However, my temper really flies through the roof at stupid and inconsequential things, which would explain my hatred of Inhofe. Mrs. Cowboy's matron of honor so much as hinted towards this in her speech at the wedding, saying that I'm basically a simmering volcano. From that, I decided that my ranting identity shall be known as Volcanus Eruptus. I know it's no Dirk Diggler, but that's what I came up with, so deal. Now that the volcano's out of the bag, let's get busy.

Today's rant has to do with specific sections of Bush's speech yesterday in Lancaster, Pennsylvania. This speech was pure gold, as there is really so much to choose from. I'll just deal with a couple that particularly simmer the volcano.
I really appreciate the Lancaster Chamber of Commerce for giving me an opportunity to explain why I have made some of the [WRONG] decisions I have made. My job is a [WRONG] decision-making job. And as a result, I make a lot of [WRONG] decisions. And it's important for me to have an opportunity to speak to you and others who would be listening about the basis on which I have made [WRONG] decisions, to explain the philosophy behind some of the [WRONG] decisions I have made.
Seriously, WTF?! Why, oh why, does this guy get off so much on doing something that every living being does every fucking day? Even cells make a decision on whether or not to fucking divide! But nooooo.. The Decider thinks he's fucking Caesar, and that the sum total of Caesar's job (and hence his own) is showing either thumbs up or thumbs down all day.


Sorry, but I think your job goes a little beyond deciding, and I don't mean giving back rubs to other heads of state. But hey, who am I to lecture someone who is so god damned insecure around smart people that he has to keep reminding everyone what a shitty student he was:
There's a lot of action in Washington, D.C., believe me, and I've got a lot of [WRONG] decisions to make. And so I delegate to good people. I always tell Condi Rice, I want to remind you, Madam Secretary, who has the Ph.D. and who was the C student. (Laughter.) And I want to remind you who the advisor is and who the President is. (Laughter.) I got a lot of Ph.D.-types and smart people around me who come into the Oval Office and say, Mr. President, here's what's on my mind. And I listen carefully to their advice. But having gathered the device [sic], I decide, you know, I say, this is what we're going to do. And it's "yes, sir, Mr. President." And then we get after it, implement policy.
You're right, we have heard these very lines before. For some reason, Bush still feels that he needs to rub this fact into Condi's face and everyone else's face who is actually intelligent. Is it that he's still intimidated by smart people and has the need to remind them that intellect will not get you everywhere, or is he really that proud to be a C student?

You might recall that he told a bunch of C student graduates that "you too can be President of the United States," as if any C student in this country could ever become President. We know that's not true for a second, except in one instance: You come from a posh and privileged background and can get away with getting drunk and snorting coke through college. That's what he is really proud of. He's proud of the fact that life has come easy to him and that he gets to play world leader while other people work for a living. Call it frat boy, call it spoiled. Either way, this is who is leading our country. Take a good look, folks, even you wingers. You're looking at a guy who has proven that he doesn't give a shit about education, No Child Left Behind my fucking arse. It's all about just getting by and knowing the right people who have money. Of course, we already knew that golden rule, but there's no reason to have a President who flaunts that ideal. If we can't have a leader who actually got higher than a B average, then maybe we can at least have a leader that knows how to inspire people to do better than him/her. That's what a leader does - fucking LEAD. Real leaders don't rub it in people's faces and revel over how easy their life is. I'm reminded of Bill Murray's speech in the beginning of Rushmore:
Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.
Thank you.

Shakesville is run as a safe space. First-time commenters: Please read Shakesville's Commenting Policy and Feminism 101 Section before commenting. We also do lots of in-thread moderation, so we ask that everyone read the entirety of any thread before commenting, to ensure compliance with any in-thread moderation. Thank you.

blog comments powered by Disqus