Question of the Day

Oddjob emailed me this morning to let me know that Match Game icon Brett Somers died this weekend. One of my earliest TV memories is actually seeing her banter with Charles Nelson Reilly (who died in May) on Match Game, which my grandma was watching. I was so young, I hadn't the means to put words to what I felt about her when I first saw her, but it was essentially that Brett Somers was the most absurdly fabulous woman I'd ever seen.

The 1970s would have existed without Brett Somers. They just wouldn't have been as saucy.

Somers, the gravely voiced wiseacre to naughty Charles Nelson Reilly on TV's Match Game, died last Saturday at her Connecticut home of stomach and colon cancer. She was 83.
In honor of Ms. Somers, today's QotD has to be: Who was your favorite 1970's icon?

Shakesville is run as a safe space. First-time commenters: Please read Shakesville's Commenting Policy and Feminism 101 Section before commenting. We also do lots of in-thread moderation, so we ask that everyone read the entirety of any thread before commenting, to ensure compliance with any in-thread moderation. Thank you.

blog comments powered by Disqus