Question of the Day

I was all atwitter recently while looking at the WFMU music blog (referenced in this post), and it led to the amazingly awesome Fudgeland blog. Not only did he have a live Tiny Tim album for download that I'd never even heard of (my love for Tiny Tim is good and pure, and I will hear no sneering jokes about it!), he also posted this incredibly awesome homemade compilation of rarely heard, long-forgotten "themes" from 80's movies. DOWNLOADED.

So now, confession time. I have a total weakness for the "Howard the Duck" song from the movie of that name. Sure, the movie was pretty shudderingly awful... I was a huge fan of the comic when I was a kid, so I was totally excited for the movie; my heart was broken. But I still totally love the song. Sung by the fetching Lea Thompson (in the made-up movie band, Cherry Bomb), with some quacking electric gee-tar effects; what's not to love?

(Odd little aside: I was checking out the free movies available on Comcast's "On Demand" service this weekend, and much to my shock, there was Howard the Duck. Does anyone know how to somehow get a movie I've DVR'd onto DVD?)

There's many other embarrassing gems on this comp, (I'm sure my sister will be quite pleased to see Xanadu!) but Howard is definitely my guilty pleasure that no one would ever know about if it weren't for blogging! My secret shame. By the way, one of the coolest things on this comp are the included dialogue snippets from the flicks, and a secret bonus track! Shh! Don't tell your friends!

So, folks... what movie "theme" song do you totally love that you'd never admit to if it weren't for the safely anonymous nature of the internets? Shakes admitted to me over the phone that she absolutely loves "Playing With the Boys" from Top Gun by Kenny Loggins. She claims that it's because it's "so bad" she absolutely loves it, but I know better. She thinks it's teh awesome. You just know she dances around to this in front of the bathroom mirror, singing into her hairbrush.

My other secret shame favorite: "Put One Foot in Front of the Other" from the "cleanup montage" in Revenge of the Nerds. Seriously, if you can't think of one, think of any "trying on silly hats in front of the mirror"-esque montage from any movie; I'm sure there's some song you totally love.

(By the way, I haven't done a "Name that Cult Movie" quote game post in a good long while. Does anyone miss that?)

Shakesville is run as a safe space. First-time commenters: Please read Shakesville's Commenting Policy and Feminism 101 Section before commenting. We also do lots of in-thread moderation, so we ask that everyone read the entirety of any thread before commenting, to ensure compliance with any in-thread moderation. Thank you.

blog comments powered by Disqus