National Irony Day

Happy National Sanctity of Human Life Day! I bet you didn't even know today was National Sanctity of Human Life Day, did you? Well, I'll forgive you for not getting me a card, since President Bush only proclaimed it into existence two days ago. Frankly, I feel two days is rather short notice to organize its celebration to include "appropriate ceremonies and to underscore our commitment to respecting and protecting the life and dignity of every human being," but I'm never one to question the president, so I'll do what I can…


Okay, I've got a bunch of people and some antiwar stuff—signs, a big banner, zany Bush masks, and the flammable effigy's on its way. With 19 more American soldiers killed yesterday, I can't think of a better way to recognize National Sanctity of Human Life Day than a good, old-fashioned war protest.

Oh, wait a second… I'm just looking at the president's proclamation again, and, uh, it looks like National Sanctity of Human Life Day is actually just about abortion.
We are vigorously promoting parental notification laws, adoption, abstinence education, crisis pregnancy programs, and the vital work of faith-based groups. Through the "Born-Alive Infants Protection Act of 2002," the "Partial-Birth Abortion Ban Act of 2003," and the "Unborn Victims of Violence Act of 2004," we are helping to make our country a more hopeful place.
Well, phooey.

(FYI: Tomorrow is the 34th anniversary of Roe v. Wade and Blog for Choice Day.)

(Via Maha. Crossposted at Ezra's place.)

Shakesville is run as a safe space. First-time commenters: Please read Shakesville's Commenting Policy and Feminism 101 Section before commenting. We also do lots of in-thread moderation, so we ask that everyone read the entirety of any thread before commenting, to ensure compliance with any in-thread moderation. Thank you.

blog comments powered by Disqus