Kathy Cooper


She really does love the gays.

I kid Anderson Cooper! He's very heterosexual. Ahem. (Via Queerty.)

Btw, I'm reading his book at the moment, Dispatches from the Edge, and it's rather interesting. I've been intrigued by my own reaction to it, as there are times when Cooper is going on about the adrenaline rush he seeks, and gets, by going to war and disaster zones, when I feel sort of revulsed by the thought of getting high on reporting others' misery. Not that Cooper isn't very introspective about it; I guess he's a little creeped out by that sometimes, too, and tells himself the same thing I'm telling myself as I read it: "People have to see these things. Someone's got to report it." And then there's the part of me that wonders what motivation to be a reporter who spends his or her time among death and despair would make me happy, as it were. Money? That's worse somehow. Altruism? That doesn't make for reporters, but aid workers. I don't know what I'd want to hear, or why, exactly, I want to hear something else in the first place.

Shakesville is run as a safe space. First-time commenters: Please read Shakesville's Commenting Policy and Feminism 101 Section before commenting. We also do lots of in-thread moderation, so we ask that everyone read the entirety of any thread before commenting, to ensure compliance with any in-thread moderation. Thank you.

blog comments powered by Disqus