As The World Burns


I've written about this before... and I'm still baffled. I just don't get this. I mean, I really, really cannot fathom what they are thinking.
Sen. James Inhofe (R-OK)- Gore "full of crap," Global Warming a "hoax."
Yesterday, Sen. James Inhofe (R-OK) attacked Al Gore and global warming science, claiming that Gore was “full of crap” on global warming.

Appearing on Glenn Beck’s radio show and CNN television program, Inhofe said that the International Panel on Climate Climate Change (IPCC), which concluded that global warming was real and caused by humans, used “one scientist.” Inhofe added: “[A]ll of the recent science…it confirms that I was right on this thing. This thing is a hoax.” Watch it:
As the links in the rest of the post show, and in what should come as no surprise to anyone with a functioning brain, global warming is most certainly not a "hoax," and this is something we're going to seriously have to work on if we want to keep this planet livable.

Granted, this is Glenn Beck's show we're talking about, so I'm not deluding myself into thinking that he might allow a guest to challenge this knucklehead, but the outright dismissal of global warming is ridiculous and dangerous.

I simply cannot understand why these conservatives are so goddamn opposed to the very thought of global warming. I mean, yeah, I get the whole oil/money/rich fuck connection, but how can you be such a selfish, greedy bastard that you don't give a good goddamn what kind of world your children or grandchildren are going to live in? They won't give the slightest bit of ground, even from a pollution angle. In other words, "Yeah, I think this global warming is bullshit... but then again, I'm getting sick of smog. So, while I don't think we're destroying the planet, maybe it would be a good idea to clean up the air a bit just so it's easier to breathe" is still a toxic idea to them... no pun intended.

I don't mean to hit you with redundant posts, but I just find this to be one of the most mind-bogglingly stupid examples of conservative "thinking" that I've seen. These people's lives are so untouched by hardship of any kind, that they think they're completely invulnerable.

And Inhofe seems hell-bent on polluting as much as possible.
Meanwhile, in Washington, the Bush administration and many members of Congress have taken a sharply different approach toward air pollution than many New York officials. The issue came to the fore again last week when the Republican head of the Senate environment committee, James M. Inhofe of Oklahoma proposed legislation that would allow the government to suspend some environmental regulations that might affect the recovering and rebuilding efforts after Hurricane Katrina.

Not to mention attacking environmental groups.

And filling the lungs of children with smoke. For all he cares, we can all stay sick.

"It'll never hurt me, so why worry?"

(Earth below us, twisting, cross-posting...)

Shakesville is run as a safe space. First-time commenters: Please read Shakesville's Commenting Policy and Feminism 101 Section before commenting. We also do lots of in-thread moderation, so we ask that everyone read the entirety of any thread before commenting, to ensure compliance with any in-thread moderation. Thank you.

blog comments powered by Disqus