Money Well Spent

Ann "Hysterical Insanity Sells" Coulter recently appeared at Chicago's Loyola University. Some progressive students attended, no doubt to view the horror (and apparently to shout a few insults). What followed was the usual Coulter shtick, and examples of what's happening to political "discourse" in this country. Coulter is her usual insulting, childish self. From the Campus Progress Blog: (Bolds mine)
I went to my seat and prepared myself mentally to take in Ms. Coulter objectively. The Loyola Anti-War Network protested her appearance by forming a chain in the back of the auditorium and facing the other way. As soon as Ms. Coulter came out she said, "Since you are feminists, standing makes your butts look really big." I was a little upset by this comment, but I held my cool. I was stupid and had the college republicans seat me up close so I could get good pictures. Needless to say I was sitting next to some Coulter-lovers who were practically foaming at the mouth in ecstacy with all of Coulter's comments. All of the protestors were taken out by security. This elevated the level of joy in the Coulter-supporters sitting around me.

Hahahaha! It makes their butts look big! HAHAHAHAHA!

Jesus Christ, how pathetic can you get?
Coulter of course went on her usual bloviating saying that Democrats have bumper stickers that say, "I heart partial birth abortion."

As I chuckled sarcastically at her remark, a girl turned around and gave me a dirty look. I sort of gave her a dirty look back and before I knew it, she told me to "Shut the fuck up." I was so taken aback by her comments, I said, "uhh, not you shut the fuck up." Then she turned more towards me and said, "I'll fucking kick your ass." I was so SHOCKED that this girl had the actual nerve to say this to me let alone on a college campus lecture, all I could say was well, "that's typical." I'm looking around me at the chaos and I see peaceful protestors getting yanked from the crowd, that I find security and tell them that a girl had just threatened me! He went to confront the girl and all of a sudden all of her friends were like "No, she threatened her!". You can only begin to imagine my shock and indignation about this girl's lack of principle and ethics. It really was the definition of mob action and what people will do when they lack the any sort of backbone.

Spineless liars. Yeah, sounds about right. I wonder if The Disgruntled Chemist is having flashbacks?
I went to find a dean and asked to be reseated and a nice although I assume tense college republican reseated me. This wasn't before the President of College Republicans of pulling a McCarthyist tactic on me by accusing me of being from that "far-left" website.

The protesting from the balcony only increased with time with shouts of "ANN IS A RACIST" to even an immature, yet mildly amusing, call for "Show us your tits."

Ann addressed her supporters in the crowd with this statement. "You're men. You're heterosexuals. Take 'em out." She chided them further when they did not rise. Before you knew it there was about 25 students marching to the balcony to supposedly "take out" the protestors above. I saw a priest holding students back and deans and security warning the students to go back to their seats. Chaos erupted. Ann left after taking one question. The question was, "How can you justify the marginalization of women when you yourself are a woman?".

To which Ann replied, "I don't."


And the cost for that one question, and a pathetic speech of feeble "Democrats want to kill all babies and have big butts" statements? For encouraging her supporters (Heterosexual MANLY men! Grr!) to "take 'em out?" (Which was, I'm sure, one of her "jokes.")

Twenty Four Thousand Dollars.

Of student money.

Hell, I don't go to Loyola, and I feel ripped off.

I feel a little foolish, blogging about Coulter. After all, this is what she does. She makes an appearance, makes insane, insulting, racist statements, and we progressives do all her P.R. work by writing about them.

That said, I'm doing it anyway. Curses.

Coulter is completely out of control; anyone that incites students to attack each other has no business speaking anywhere. And she certainly doesn't deserve $24,000 for that pathetic display.

$24,000. Jesus.

(Energy Dome tip to August. Coulter 'toon by Tom Tomorrow. It's a Dead Man's Cross-Post... who could ask for more?)

Shakesville is run as a safe space. First-time commenters: Please read Shakesville's Commenting Policy and Feminism 101 Section before commenting. We also do lots of in-thread moderation, so we ask that everyone read the entirety of any thread before commenting, to ensure compliance with any in-thread moderation. Thank you.

blog comments powered by Disqus