Question of the Day

Recently, rewatching Sideways, I was thinking that few directors manage to capture what life really looks like as well as Alexander Payne (with help from his fantastic production designer Jane Ann Stewart, who worked with him on Election and About Schmidt, too). Granted, not all films are meant to look like real life, but of those that are, Payne's are near-perfection. It makes his characters that much easier to empathize with, though I'm not a great deal like any of them.

I started thinking what characters I am like, and which films feel the most familiar, which brings us to the QotD: What film feels most like your life?

I'd love to be able to say something cool, but I think the reality is that Bridget Jones is probably as close as it gets. I am, in truth, a goofy thirty-something with a penchant for disaster who can't quit smoking and bumbles from one catastrophe to the next, my inner monologue a most useful tool for making even the most dreadful things manageable. And I also happen to be madly in love with a cool-headed man who inexplicably loves me just as I am, even my wobbly bits.

I do, however, know where Germany is.

Shakesville is run as a safe space. First-time commenters: Please read Shakesville's Commenting Policy and Feminism 101 Section before commenting. We also do lots of in-thread moderation, so we ask that everyone read the entirety of any thread before commenting, to ensure compliance with any in-thread moderation. Thank you.

blog comments powered by Disqus