What's in a Name?

More than a few times recently, I've been asked if the title of the blog (and my moniker) references the shitty band of the same name. No.

Shakespeare's Sister is the title of a Virginia Woolf essay examining women's history; Tennessee Williams also uses it in The Glass Menagerie. The phrase was later borrowed by Morrissey, when still with The Smiths, for a song of the same title. (My passion for politics is only slightly less than that of my fervor for The Smiths.) It is after this song that the blog is specifically named, although my reverence for the Bard himself played no small part.

Shakesville is run as a safe space. First-time commenters: Please read Shakesville's Commenting Policy and Feminism 101 Section before commenting. We also do lots of in-thread moderation, so we ask that everyone read the entirety of any thread before commenting, to ensure compliance with any in-thread moderation. Thank you.

blog comments powered by Disqus